Leading and Managing Productive Reviews and Inspections
This two-day workshop helps students learn how to review and examine work products built by a team. It describes the various types of work product reviews (technical reviews, walkthroughs, and inspections), along with criteria used to select the appropriate type of review.
Lectures, discussion, and team exercises focus on inspections that are based on methods originally defined by Fagan and evolved by others. Inspections are known to provide significant benefits to organizations at all levels of maturity, for a wide variety of work products. To be effective, an inspection must follow a well-defined process using work product-specific guidelines and checklists.
Participants learn the methods by performing several inspections.
Using the methods taught in the course, students create or adapt their own reviews and inspections process, developing practical value-added templates and checklists that can be used to meet their needs. Course materials include fundamental checklists, statistics gathering templates, and inspection procedures.
- Project managers
- Product managers
- Business analysts
- Quality Assurance staff
- Training developers
- Sales and Marketing personnel
Successful completion of this course will enable participants to:
- select an appropriate type of review for a work product
- identify the roles to be included in a work product review
- participate in a review or inspection
- gather data about the defects found in a review or inspection
- evaluate the results from a review or inspection, to determine whether or not the expected goals were met
- identify improvements to templates and guidelines used for reviews and inspections
- Selecting a review type
- Performing inspections
- Using inspection data
- Building inspection assets
- Institutionalizing the inspection process
Included with this Workshop
Participants will receive a course notebook with the course slides, an exercise booklet, and example templates. Students who successfully complete the class will also receive an official certificate of completion.